Monday, January 14, 2013

Good Riddance

A few weeks ago Tiff (of dissertation date fame) asked if I missed Tucson at all, and while I do miss somethings about Tucson, I DO NOT AT ALL miss grad school.  She was pretty surprised that I felt that way.  Another friend from grad school has said the traumatic grad school memories faded really quickly, and while I don't completely cringe when I recall grad school at this point (not quite 6 months out), I still don't miss being a grad student.  Not even the tiniest bit.

Friends who finished a few year ahead of me said I'd miss the flexible schedule and the ability to do work of my choosing.  Honestly I haven't had this problem.  This probably depends upon one's actual job, but I have enough flexibility that things like getting to the post office or the doctor's isn't a problem.  As far as being able to do whatever work interests you, I think this may only be an issue if you actually enjoy research in the first place.  By the end of grad school, I HATED research.  So much of it is so obscure that its only significance is in the mind of the researcher, and I absolutely despised the never-ending nature of research.  I hate that a project is never actually done, even after years - there is always something else to do, some other direction in which to take the research.  I am so glad to have work with a much shorter time frame for completion, and the ability to work on something different often!  If I don't actually like that project, it really doesn't matter, because it's short-lived.  I've written plenty about the crappy aspects of grad school, and frankly the perks (flexibility, ability to work on what you like - which is actually not entirely true) don't come close to making up for them.

The biggest thing I miss about Tucson and grad school are the people.  I miss cooking with E, hiking with Dallas, procrastinating/chit chatting with people in the group downstairs.  I was very lucky to already know a couple of people in/near Baltimore when I moved here, so there are a few people to go explore and hang out and celebrate stuff with, but I still miss my friends from Tucson.  There are a few other, relatively trivial things I miss, but the biggest thing is the people I spent the past 5 years with.  My co-workers at my actual employer are great, I like almost all of them a lot, and the people at BFU are mostly nice though totally insane.  (Seriously, getting out of academia = good decision.)  Anyways, I mostly like the people I work with, but they're not friends the way my grad school classmates were/are, and probably won't be even with time.


Aside from missing friends, the short-term nature of my job (both the actual work and the fact that it's only a 2 year position), the normal hours, and significantly improved salary all contribute to my not missing grad school in the slightest.

Making even harder to miss grad school is actually being able to see Boyfriend more than every 6-8 weeks.  I see him almost every weekend now, and it doesn't involve hundreds of dollars or spending all day on a plane!  It's wonderful.  It (and he) makes me incredibly happy.  That alone makes it hard to miss grad school.

2 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, we miss you, too, Anne! Seriously, everytime I walk upstairs to find Kim or Jeanne, I always want to continue the walk down the hall to chit chat with you and Erin. It makes me sad you aren't around anymore. :-( But, dear god, I need to get outta here and I know I'm gonna feel EXACTLY the same way you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly--the ONLY thing I miss are the people. :)

    ReplyDelete