Friday, April 29, 2011

Fascinating

Since I'm still sitting here in lab collecting spectra, I started watching the live streaming of the pre-royal-wedding shenanigans.

THE HATS. The hats are incredible. I haven't yet seen a single woman with a bare head. They're fascinating. I mean, of course they're fascinating, many of them are technically fascinators! The hats are so much fun that I almost think it's a shame I'm not British. I would be all in favor of my guests wearing ridiculously awesome hats to my wedding. Hell, I would be in favor of ridiculous hat wearing all the time.

The trees. When I heard they had put 20 ft tall trees along the aisle of Westminster Abbey my first thought was wtf. Upon seeing them, I still think it's really strange, but they actually look kind of nice. The bit of color they add is definitely a good thing.

A guest with a broken leg just arrived - a younger woman. She's being pushed in a wheelchair. How crappy to go to something like a royal wedding with a gigantic cast on your leg? I will say this though, the cast is a medium gray color, totally coordinating with her outfit.

BARE HEAD ALERT. And scandal! The bareheaded woman is the wife of the prime minister! She's got a beaded little clip in her hair, but it's hardly big enough to qualify as a fascinator.

It's so odd to see the big boulevards of London completely empty of cars. And everything looks so clean. London definitely was not that clean when I was there. However the beautiful tree lined streets are making me miss spring even more.

Oh boy. Princes William and Harry are on their way to Westminster. The crowd goes wild! Completely inappropriate, but I wonder what kind of underwear princes wear under very sharp looking military dress uniforms?? Regular old boxers or whatnot just seem insufficient.

Besides the hats, I'm also highly entertained by the number of women wearing gloves. Some are wrist-length gloves, like I picture little girls wearing to a tea party. Some are full blown elbow-or-higher-length gloves...like something I'd associate with an evening gown. Weird.

Oh my goodness. They couldn't let William sneak in some side entrance to hide and have a few minutes peace before the wedding? I can't believe he went in the main entrance and walked alllllll the way up the aisle for everybody to gawk at him. I guess it's kind of nice that he's milling around chatting with family and such though.

So Kate's mother and brother just arrived. Upon realizing that I knew who they were (the stream I'm watching doesn't really have any commentary or identification of people or what's going on), I was quite embarrassed. What does that say about me that I recognize Kate Middleton's mother and brother on sight??

And with only a couple minutes left on the last spectra I planned to collect tonight, I'll be heading home before actually seeing Kate's dress. What a shame. I guess I'll just have to look it up tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be hard to avoid finding.

Time to head home to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment