Friday, January 20, 2012

Cafe Reviews for the Dissertation Writer, Volume 6

Last night Tiff and I tried Ike's for a dissertation date - unlike everything else we've tried, it isn't particularly close to either school or home for either of us, but while I like being able to walk places, this wasn't really a downside.

Pros
  • They had a big menu - lots of different kinds of drinks, AND actual food.  Since I didn't have a chance to get dinner beforehand this was much appreciated.  They didn't have much for sweets or pastries by that time of day, but that's probably better for me anyways.
  • Reasonably priced.  I got soup for $3-something that was plenty of food for dinner.
  • Free wifi
  • It was quiet and not too crowded, and there were plenty of tables.  I think being a couple miles from campus had a lot to do with this.
  • Open til 12.  I can rarely make it past midnight, but I can make it to at least 10 or 11 and I want a place that will be open at least as long as I can keep getting stuff done.
Cons
  • It was kinda cold.  I eventually adjusted, but I considered keeping my coat on after I got there.
  • Not walking distance of campus or home for either of us, though that alone wouldn't deter me from going back.
  • The music kind of all over the place - on/off/loud/soft/changing in the middle of songs...It could be distracting.
  • You have to go outside and around the corner to the bathroom!  There's no bathroom actually IN the cafe!  wtf!?
Despite the pros, and probably a lot to do with the distracting music and the weird bathroom situation my take-home impression of Ike's was pretty meh.

In not-so-meh news, I finished a chapter today!  Woohoo!  And in kind-of-meh news, only 6 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment