Monday, May 2, 2011

Uncomfortable.

So the news outlets (understandably so) aren't talking about anything except the death of Osama bin Laden. It's huge that he's dead, and while it's impossible to know what will happen now, hopefully it'll be a huge blow to al Qaeda and a step towards a less violent world.

I understand that he was a horrible, horrible man. Really. I get it. It really isn't possible to comprehend fully the suffering that he has directly or indirectly caused countless people. But at the same time, the rejoicing at his death bothers me. I wouldn't say I'm sorry that he's dead, but it makes me really, really uncomfortable that the collective reaction to a man's death is joy.

1 comment:

  1. I like the analogy here.

    Not perfect but an alternative to all of the fist-pumping.

    ReplyDelete