Monday, May 9, 2011

Mint Julep

In honor of the Kentucky Derby Saturday I made these Mint Julep Cupcakes.


Man were they GREEN. If I'd been willing to spend more on the liqueur and had more time I would have searched for non-green creme de menthe, because green cupcakes just seem gross to me. At least they stayed green green rather than turning that brown-ish green upon baking.


The only thing I did differently from the recipe was to brush bourbon on top of the cakes after they cooled. Unfortunately, it wasn't actually enough to be able to taste it. I really don't care for bourbon, but I did want them to taste like they weren't straight up mint cupcakes.

Update - I brushed the spares that I didn't take to the Derby Party with a second coat of bourbon, and now you can taste the bourbon, and most definitely smell the bourbon. Unfortunately this means that I now think they're gross, but I don't like bourbon. They were well received at the party Saturday, and my labmate still thinks they're good with the extra bourbon. The extra brushing if booze did eventually make them a little soggy, so if I make these again I'd probably add just a little bit of bourbon to the frosting rather than the second brushing on the cake.

But they sure are pretty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment