Saturday, February 19, 2011

Word of the Day

Struggle bus.

My sister used the term the other night, and confirming how ancient and out-of-touch I am, my response was pretty much, "struggle what?" Little Sister was asking me if she was a bad person for encouraging her friend to come to school late to she could get her a donut. I told her most emphatically, YES, what the hell are you thinking??

Little Sister: Oh. Really? I don't think it is. I'm really craving one right now. And she's contemplating skipping 1st/2nd period anyway because she's a huge struggle bus right now. I dunno, I just really want a donut.

Me: A huge what?

Little Sister: Man, I really want my license.

Me: What does, "she's a huge struggle bus right now" mean??

Little Sister: Haha just, you know. A struggle bus. Like a hot mess. Like seriously struggling, having a really rough time. You've never heard me use struggle bus? Because I'm usually aboard it. There's a specific one for the [high school she goes to] community of strugglers.

Me: I've never heard the term struggle bus.

Little Sister:
Yeah. It's pretty just...emotionally encompassing.

Me:
Hahahhahaa. K8 and I are in hysterics. I just told her about the expression "struggle bus."

Little Sister:
But don't you agree? It's a genius term.

Me:
It is. I like it.

Little Sister: Now you'll use it. And spread it to all your little friends. Who will use it. And soon everyone will be struggle busing together. It's a beautiful word - an adjective, a noun, a verb. It's a chameleon word.


Oh my. Looking for a credible source to confirm this, K8 and I turned to urbandictionary.com, which sure enough, had the term with a similar meaning, although somewhat more literal. Thank you, Little Sister, for this valuable contribution to my education...

No comments:

Post a Comment