Monday, September 6, 2010

Mt Lemmon & Labor Day "Labor"

Yesterday afternoon a whole bunch of us hiked the Aspen Loop trail up to the top of Mt Lemmon, the highest peak in the Catalinas (the range just north of Tucson). Since the top of Mt Lemmon is around 9000 ft, a solid 6000 ft higher than Tucson, it's much, much cooler up there (yesterday about 75-80 vs 100-105). Thank goodness. After 4 or so months of 100 degree and up weather every day, I'm certainly ready for a break. I'm growing increasingly jealous of facebook statuses from home referring to beautiful autumn mornings... I just have to remember that they will all be shoveling snow in a couple months while I'll be walking to school in a sweater...

Yesterday's hiking group was the largest I've ever gone with, about 12. It wasn't as bad as I thought that big a group might be, but I was definitely peeved at the lack of preparation on the part of most of the people going. Even if higher elevation means cooler temperatures, it doesn't mean it's ok to set out on a 5+ mile hike with a liter or less of water. Never, ever ok. I was shocked at the number of people who set out carrying only a single nalgene. No food, no sunscreen, no first aid supplies, no knife, no map, nada. I usually don't carry a first aid kit or map, because I know Dallas has those, but it's just irresponsible not to carry enough food and water for yourself. I think a couple people learned their lesson about the water at least, but I'm pretty sure at least a couple of people are going to be stubborn and insist they're fine with only a liter (even though they were completely out of water by time we reached the summit). Not sure I'll be hiking with that many people or all of those people again.

A few years before I moved to Tucson, there was quite the wildfire that destroyed a lot of forest and homes on Mt Lemmon. That's why all these trees look burnt out. The first 3/4 of the hike or so was shaded forest (also a relief compared to Tucson). While the fire was sad, the aftermath is quite beautiful.

Looking up towards the top

Looking out towards Tucson

Itty bitty lizard type thing

I've been pretty lazy/successful at avoiding schoolwork so far this weekend. Saturday I spent most of the day doing laundry and running errands, and yesterday was the hiking outing, so today I'm trying to cross a couple of things off my school to-do list.

I just emailed my advisor and a collaborating professor another draft of the paper we've been going back and forth on for a few months now. Well, I've been going back and forth on. It's been painful getting them to just read the stupid thing. I really, really want it submitted and off my desk before I go to StL for Angie & Tony's wedding next week. Unlikely, but I'm being pushy at this point, so we'll see.

The goal for this afternoon is to hit the gym and knock out a big piece of reading I haven't been able to finish off for a couple weeks now. If only I had a pool to do that reading by...

Happy labor day!

1 comment:

  1. When (ahem) you come to visit us, we're going to hike the Jamez Mountain Trail. It's gorgeous (I posted some pics on flickr). And my solution to the water problem? Never plan a hike that will take longer than two hours...

    ReplyDelete