Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11

I was just starting my junior year of high school on September 11, 2001. While I don't remember what class I was in when the towers were struck, or when they collapsed, I do remember that I was in American History when we found out. It was still morning, but after both towers had collapsed.

I can't quite explain why, but somehow it strikes me as funny (not ha-ha funny certainly) that I was in American History when I found out about 9-11. I also remember thinking it was really strange that by the end of the school year, the events of 9-11 had already been included in the latest edition of history books that my teacher was sampling for the following year.

9-11 was the second "world event" or terrible tragedy to actually strike home for me (the first was the shootings at Columbine when I was in 8th grade - I remember watching the news coverage thinking holy cow, that was in a high school, I'm going to high school in a few months). The planes the struck the towers originated in Boston, only half a hour from where I grew up, the airport I did and still regularly use. One of the pilots was from the town my parents moved to last summer. I was lucky enough not to know anybody who died, but I knew lots of people who did, making it eerily "real".

Please pray for all of the families affected by 9-11, especially the children who lost parents. Please pray for all of the troops overseas, and that some day sooner rather than later, there may be peace in the Middle East and understanding and tolerance between Christians and Muslims world wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment