Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Conversation with My Sister

All of the following points (among others) were discussed in the span of an 11 minute and 57 second conversation with my sister.

Yesterday I went bridesmaid dress shopping for my college roommate's wedding. I just went into David's Bridal and tried on several dresses and looked at some potential colors. So Angie could see the outcome, I put all the pictures on Flickr and sent that link. I also sent the link to my sister thinking she might be amused (actually...I should probably be a good daughter on Mother's Day and also send the link to my mother for her amusement...it will give us something to talk about when I make the obligatory phone call later this afternoon too). So Sarah calls to tell me her thoughts on these dresses. She agrees that the pockets feature on one dress is awesome, but that the kelly green color looks "alienesque." Not that it washes me out or makes me look alienesque, but that the dress color itself looks like alien green. I happen to really like the bright green, but ok, Sarah.

She has to do some school project about conscience formation, listing specific people/things/events that contributed to the formation of her conscience. She's also supposed to include pictures of these things. So she has the obvious parents, siblings, God... and she's looking for a picture of Mom and Dad holding her. Except she swears she can't find a picture of Dad holding her (which is actually entirely possible - he took pretty much all of the pictures growing up). Her solution? She used a picture of Dad holding me instead. I know we look remarkably alike especially when we were young, but there's also the minor detail that not only does Dad look considerably younger in the baby pictures of me, all of those pictures also have a distinct '80s feel to them.

While she was looking through older pictures, she decided that all of the pictures taken before she was born are just weird. Like they're "from another world or something." (Because how on earth did we survive without her?) But I obviously wouldn't understand...because I'm in them.

I was relaying parts of this conversation to aforementioned college roommate while still on the phone with my sister, and Angie's conclusion was that she would really like to go drinking with Sarah in like 8 years. Sarah's response? "Sheesh, how young does she think I am? Doesn't she know that she could go drinking with me in 6 years?" Angie does bring up an excellent point - that she could be incredibly entertaining after a few drinks. However, she's so entertaining now, that I have a hard time imagining how she could possibly be funnier. Only time will tell I guess.

4 comments:

  1. I think we need to see the green "alienesque" dress now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705872@N07/sets/72157624020809270/

    The 3rd dress I'm in is the "alienesque" green. I actually happen to like that color - not necessarily for a bridesmaid dress, but in general. (And I'm well aware that half of these dresses were too small.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still confused, since there are green colors that aren't on you before we hit the third dress you're in. :) Do you mean the kelly green? Did you decide on strapless?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do mean the kelly green. Kelly (the other bridesmaid, just to be confusing) tried on David's bridal dresses too, and also thought they were horrible. So we're probably going with a dress from somewhere else.

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2171919&l=f33fd51057&id=33302437

    The 3rd dress I'm in in this album - the light green halter w/ the cream waistband is looking like the likely victor.

    ReplyDelete