Friday, November 18, 2011

Seminar Snoozer

So I went to a seminar earlier this afternoon, and it was actually a really excellent seminar.  The speaker was good, the data was good, her approach to science is good.  I was all great.

There's the one professor in my department who is notorious for falling asleep during seminars.  Seriously, it happens ALL THE TIME.  I'm pretty sure nobody's ever called him out on it because he's faculty emeritus at this point.  I'll admit that I sometimes doze off during seminars, however, when I do, I don't have the audacity to ask a question at the end.  This man ALWAYS asks a question, and it always falls into one of 4 categories.
  • A reasonable question that very obviously refers to the first 5, maybe 10 minutes of the talk, which is generally concerning the broader implications or motivations for the research
  • A completely irrelevant, off-the-wall question
  • A question that was most definitely clearly and thoroughly addressed during the talk
  • And rarest of all, a question that is actually totally relevant and insightful
Today's embarrassment fell into the 3rd category.  He asked a question that she must have spent at least 10 minutes discussing and explaining how they addressed the problem to validate their results.  GAH.  I really wish somebody would start their reply to him with, "Well, I've already discussed that, but briefly..."

It would be SO satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment