Saturday, June 18, 2011

Denver

I mentioned that I was going to Denver for ASMS this year. I very quickly decided that I loved Denver. Really, it only took about 2 hours to be completely sold on the city.

When I got in on Friday night, I went to meet my labmate who was already out with a bunch of his college friends. During the cabride across town to the restaurant, a lot of the neighborhoods we passed through reminded me of the Central West End in St Louis (another neighborhood and city that I dearly love) - cute, older brick houses, lots of fun and quirky looking shops and restaurants.

Sunday morning was my only substantial chunk of free time, and I spent it walking around downtown. The city was clean, it's got great public transportation, professional sports and theater type stuff, and nice city parks and running/biking paths along the creek and river that go through downtown. There are seasons too! Fancy that! Winter, spring, summer, and fall - what a novel idea! The weather seems fairly decent too - not terribly extreme in any season, and not nearly as humid as most other places with seasons. Not to mention the Rockies are absolutely gorgeous and not far. I seriously think my only gripe with the city was the fact that the airport was an hour outside of the city.

Not that these photos really illustrate why I think Denver is so great, but here's a smattering of the photos I took in my wanderings.


Yes, I fooled around with the color on this one.

This is where you go to get pot. Legally. There are all sorts of shops all over town, almost all with the word "high" in their name somewhere.

A track to make it easier to get your bike up the stairs to the bridge!

Downtown Denver has so many one way streets that this is completely necessary.

This did a really good job of making me feel super guilty any time I threw anything away.

A bunch of shots from Union Station - the station is really neat, and will be even cooler when all the construction around it is done and it's back in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment