Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Craziest Cake I've Ever Made

So there's this cake that I saw online a while ago, that I've been dying for an excuse to try. Normally it's a flavor or combination thereof that I get all excited to try, but in this case, it was a decorating idea and a badass assembly idea. This is the cake I originally saw - with the beautiful rose frosting and vertical layers inside.

A friend's baby shower this weekend was the opportunity I've been looking for to try out this cake. Since she's having a boy, I thought it would be fun to try a blue velvet cake (as opposed to red velvet cake) as one of the cake flavors.

If you're interested, i am baker, the blogger responsible for this (and other!) fantastic looking cakes has tutorials for both the frosting roses and assembly of the vertical layers. The only commentary I have is don't ignore her when she says to freeze the cakes before trying to layer them! I made a practice cake early in the week, but because I just threw it together without being remotely careful, I got a fairly heavy cake. In this case, refrigerating overnight was sufficient to produce a cake that was sturdy enough for this sort of manipulation. When I made the actual cakes I was of course much more careful and make the cakes much more quickly, so I got much lighter, airier, and more fragile cakes. After a night in the refrigerator it was still extremely challenging to abuse the cakes like this without them completely falling apart.


Blue velvet cake is VERY blue!

The final product wasn't nearly as pretty as my inspiration, but not shabby for a first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment