Sunday, November 7, 2010

CSA & Cupcakes

As I was going to write up the cupcakes E and I made Friday night, it occurred to me that I hadn't posted a CSA update in a while. Unfortunately this didn't occur to me when we were cooking, so I have no photos.

We're approaching the end of the fall session, and normally we'd be knee deep in greens by now (kale, chard, turnip & beet greens, arugula, mizuna...), and making lots of soups and risottos to try to hide them in. :) Although we're actually making considerable progress embracing the greens and figuring out other (still tasty) things to do with them. Greens season has actually (thankfully) been off to a rather slow start - we had a really nasty hailstorm several weeks ago that really did a lot of damage.

Last week we got spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, arugula, salad greens, fresh green chilies, green bell pepper, and basil. In the backlog of CSA stuff we had some more sweet potatoes, red potatoes, roasted green chilies, and onions.

Friday night we made this corn chowder, with about 20 times the quantity of green chilies it calls for. We managed to use up an onion, all our potatoes, all the roasted chilies, and a couple of fresh ones. All the sweet potatoes went into this side dish. I'll definitely make it again - it's delicious and super easy. And finally we made a spaghetti squash dish with bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, and basil.

Salad greens went made a couple of salads, along with one of my bell peppers, and the arugula went into a "quesadilla" with onion, swiss cheese, and balsamic vinegar. That leaves me with only onions and green chilies in the backlog! I win, CSA, I win.

Anyways, about the cupcakes I originally intended to share. Raspberry vodka cupcakes. Utterly delicious. The frosting on its own was kind of strange, not bad, but definitely different. It's quite possibly the first frosting that I wouldn't be willing to eat with a spoon. But when paired with the cake and the raspberry mush on top, the whole thing works together brilliantly.


The cupcakes were so pretty that I had to break out the pretty plates. So when E asked if we could have tea, of course the pretty matching tea cups and saucers had to come out too...

No comments:

Post a Comment