Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Who says there isn't water in the desert?

Seven Falls, Bear Canyon, Coronado National Forest

Saturday some friends and I took a faculty candidate hiking. Since we've had an unusually wet winter this year we decided to go to Seven Falls. This was by quite a bit the most water I've seen on this hike. There's always at least a little bit of water - it's a popular spot to hike to in summer (even when it's 100+ degrees) to play in the falls at the turn around point. But holy crap. The water at all the creek/river crossings to get to this point was high enough that it got tricky to find points across without flat out wading. Even then I lost my footing a couple of times, and by time I got back both legs were wet up to my knees and one arm was wet up to my elbow. The arrival of more rain before we made it back made for a very wet, cold lunch and ride home.

P.S. At the moment I'm totally supposed to be making a presentation to give to the entire department a week from Friday. Talking about hiking is obviously much more appealing. :)

2 comments:

  1. That looks pretty cool. Did you see any snakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I've only ever seen one snake out here. And not on that trail.

    ReplyDelete