Monday, March 12, 2012

Vicious Cycle

For those of you in grad school of some sort, when did you know you wanted to go?  Sometime in college? When you found yourself in a dead-end job you hated?  As the eldest daughter of a PhD and an MD, I'm the weirdo who grew up thinking it was normal to go to grad school.  Seriously.  I was maybe 6 or 7 when I learned that my parents had both been in school until they were 27 (coincidentally, the age I am now, and also the age I'll be when I FINALLY graduate).  I was horrified, and told my mom that there was NO WAY I was going to stay in school that long.  She laughed, and said, "we'll see..."  Sadly she was right.  Apparently going to grad school is a vicious cycle...

A conversation I had recently with one of my college roommates (CR):
CR: I am only on page 20 of editing a 140 page publication.  It's so slow...
Me: Ick.  Fortunately I can edit a chapter at a time up to the very end.
CR: Yeah, but you're writing a dissertation.  That's scary and difficult in so many other ways.
Me: I'll just be thankful that I don't have to edit 120 pages at a shot for right now. :)
CR: Haha, small wins
Me: Pretty much.  At this point I'm mainly motivated by being able to make other people call me Dr. [Last Name] after I defend.  Although that will be weird, because in my mind Dr. [Last Name] is my mom
CR: Haha, true.  And your dad too technically.
Me: Yes, technically.  He's got at least as much claim to it as I'll have.  And technically grandpa, too.
CR: So many drs
Me: Haha yeah.  It is a bit funny.  Easy to see why I grew up thinking it was normal to go to grad school. :P
CR: True that.  It's like a drug.
Me: Or teen pregnancy.  A vicious cycle.
CR: Best example yet!

1 comment:

  1. I also grew up thinking everyone got paid to go to grad school...and imagine how strange it is to not be Dr. "Maiden Name" (since I DID plan on going to grad school from childhood) but rather Dr. "Married Name." :)

    ReplyDelete