Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Miscellaneous Tuesday Thoughts

It's payday! When you only get paid 3 times/year, payday takes on a whole new level of excitement. Unless I wind up at a job with some really weird pay schedule, these are also by far the biggest paychecks I'll ever get, even though I should make (lots) more money at any future job.

I just double checked cooking plans with E to make sure I don't accidentally trade something we had plans for at our CSA pickup. Except our pickup is Wednesday. Today is Tuesday. I really was earnestly planning to pick up our produce on my way home today. For some reason I've had a hard time keeping days/meetings straight lately. I very nearly blew off lunch with my old roommate today because I can't seem to keep track of things lately. It took multiple tries to schedule lunch in the first place because last week I didn't remember I had group meeting Wednesday at noon. We've had group meeting Wednesday at noon for over a year now. Except this week it's Thursday at noon. Not helping.

My weird leprosy thing is finally clearly up. Thank goodness. I really didn't want to look like a freak for the rest of bathing suit season.

It's Little Sister's birthday! She's a ripe old 17 today. She can (legally) see a rated-R movie all by herself like a big girl. If you know her in real life feel free to wish her a happy birthday in the most obnoxious fashion you can think of. By the way, the only labels with more posts are "gradual school", "random", and "travel."

A while ago I saw something online about this new thing called Pinterest. I didn't think much of it. Then a couple weeks ago a friend mentioned it, and said she really liked it. Eh, still brushed it off. Well, yesterday I got annoyed when epicurious wouldn't let me add a recipe to my recipe box, so I said eff it and started a Pinterest account. It's awesome and I'm already addicted. I can store and organize recipes or anything other website my heart desires all in one place. Definitely beats having recipe boxes on all sorts of different cooking sites and trying to remember which website or blog I got which recipe off of. I'm having fun with it, but it's not very conducive to getting my research update done.

Speaking of which, I HATE preparing and giving research update for group meeting. Loathe it. I generally analyze my data in a fairly timely fashion, but I don't generally made it into pretty figures and slides that are presentation-ready. So giving group meeting generally means a lot of pretty tedious work. And a last minute crunch to get more data.

Another annoying feature of work lately is the recent arrival of a person that we're pretty sure The Queen hired to be our babysitter/her watchdog, since as department chair she has just about zero time to pay any attention to what or how much work we're doing. As she puts it, he's a "real grown-up," as opposed to a post-doc fresh out of a PhD program, and since he got here most of what he's done has been to stick his nose into everybody's business. Last Friday he came flying into my office to less than tactfully inquire about the status of an instrument. The very next morning I got an email from The Queen asking the same. Coincidence? I doubt it. Maybe if my entire grad school experience had had this level of "supervision" I'd be less annoyed, but at this point I have zero interest in somebody looking over my shoulder all the time. The Queen wants me to stay through August because I have outside funding through then. I'm feeling less and less inclined to stick around that long. Working for the department chair is...interesting...to say the least. It probably merits a post of its own at some point.

Syfy has stopped posting episodes of Eureka online after they air! How am I supposed to keep up when we have Monday night softball games?! We have a few weeks off before the fall season starts, but I'm several weeks behind, so I'd just be all out of sorts watching the new episodes for the short time that I can. GAH!

Last bit of rambling for tonight - I need a haircut. But I'm totally undecided what to do. Sometimes I know I want to keep growing it out or that I want to chop a lot off. I have zero thoughts on the matter now. Since I don't have thoughts do I just trim it and see if I have inspiration later? Or chop a bunch (4-8") off? The shortest I've ever had my hair is about chin-length (about where 8" would leave me now), and I know it grows back, so cutting a bunch doesn't particularly freak me out. Opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment