Thursday, August 5, 2010

Save Second Base

My roommate Jen is doing the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure later this month in Denver. It's a 3 day (in case you hadn't picked up on that), 60 mile walk to raise awareness and research funds for breast cancer. The fund-raising goal (requirement) for this event is huge - $2300/participant. Needless to say, $2300 and 60 miles are huge numbers, and Jen's been working her butt off to be ready.

Last week, with help from friends, she had a taco dinner and bake sale to raise some money. Straight-up asking people for money is just so awkward, so she's been trying to have various events or goods for people to enjoy in exchange. (Tucson folks - FYI I think we're having another Beer for Boobs kegger in a few weeks.)

Considering baking is one of the things we do best, E and I baked up a storm the night before Jen's bake sale. (Yes, we have very healthy egos when it comes to our abilities in the kitchen. :P ) Here's E in my kitchen:
For some reason, she thought you needed to see the flour hand print on my butt:

Over the course of about 6 hours, we made rolo cookies, gooey butter cookies, pumpkin cookies and muffins (both with frozen pumpkin from our CSA pumpkins last fall!) , snickerdoodle cookies, mini zucchini breads (with fresh zucchini from our CSA share!), red velvet cupcakes, and chocolate nutella cupcakes. It was insane, and my kitchen was an absolute disaster area afterward. We're a little crazy, and eventually we were curious to see just how much we could make in a night.

Red velvet cupcakes with buttercream frosting - Red velvet cake is VERY red! And delicious if you make it right. Red velvet cake is NOT, I repeat NOT, chocolate cake dyed red!







Snickerdoodles

Zucchini bread

Chocolate cupcakes with nutella frosting


All the loot packaged and ready to go. (Side note, I think it's quite funny that the common bookshelf in our house is over 50% travel and/or hiking/climbing books...)

The craziness was worth it - between the dinner and the bake sale Jen made nearly $500. I went to the bake sale for a while to help out, also figuring I had a better idea of what was in everything in case people needed or wanted to know (after nannying for a peanut-allergy kid when I was in high school I'm super allergy-paranoid and made sure to label everything very clearly). I think the funniest thing I saw all night was the rather crabby looking doctor who came in, handed me $10, took the entire container of pumpkin cookies, and said he'd be back to return my container!

Jen still has a long way to go to reach her $2300 goal. If you'd like to donate let me know and I'll put you in touch with Jen/let you know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment