Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Red Rocks of Sedona

Last weekend I went up to Sedona to see my aunt and her family who are vacationing in northern Arizona for the week. The town of Sedona is pretty much like a western version of Cape Cod - super cheesy and touristy but beautiful when you get away from town. Unfortunate it rained pretty much the entire weekend, so we didn't get to do one of the things I wanted to do (Slide Rock State Park), but on the upside it wasn't 100 degrees out and we did some things I otherwise wouldn't have thought to do (Riordon Mansion in Flagstaff). Despite all the grief my uncle gave me over the weather - hey, I told them to bring rain jackets because it's monsoon season - it was really great to see some family since I only see my immediate family about twice a year and extended family on my mom's side maybe once a year.

We did a light hike in Red Rock State Park. The rocks around Sedona really are red. Sorry my pictures are all fairly crappy - the perpetually gray, rainy, cloudy weather wasn't so awesome for getting good photos with realistic color.


Even though this is from the "ghost" town of Jerome, an amusing reminder that Arizona still is the "wild west" in a lot of ways...


P.S. All the links are to Google image searches, the websites for the Arizona state park system are terrible. They look like some 4th grader made them in the mid-90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment