Saturday, March 27, 2010

New Toy! Hobby Edition.

A lot of people know that I've been itching to get a nice digital SLR camera. People I travel or hike with were particularly susceptible to my hemming and hawing about it (and maybe a little whining...sorry about that...). When my roommate suggested the backpacking trip we went on last week (more about that later) that was finally the motivation I needed after debating over the purchase for nearly a year. I love having nice pictures of places I've been almost as much as I love to travel, so I finally bit the bullet and coughed up the money.

I got a Nikon D90. It's the newest model in the same series of cameras that my dad and brother have. Before deciding what to get I quizzed just about everybody I know that has an SLR. Everybody was happy with whatever camera they have, but mostly because I was already a bit familiar with them and I value my dad's opinion a lot I went with the Nikon. The other two models I was considering had what I wanted from the body of the camera, and were considerably cheaper, but came packaged with a significantly wimpier lens (18-55 mm rather than the 18-105 mm the D90 came with). It's got a lot more bells and whistles than I'm ever likely to use, but that's ok. The camera should last pretty much forever, so I have lots of time to learn them all.

I'll post some pictures taken with my new toy when I get around to posting about the backpacking trip. It was pretty friggin' epic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment