Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cinco de Mayo & Supermoon

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!  Ok, so that about exhausts my knowledge of Spanish.  Ok, so not quite, but I really don't know much more even though my vocabulary has probably doubled since moving to Tucson.

I made margarita cupcakes and cookies for a Cinco de Mayo party this afternoon.

I made the cupcakes (from Annie's Eats) about two years ago for a Memorial Day party, but brought them out again for the more appropriate May holiday.  We thought we had conquered the oh-so-finnicky Swiss buttercream frosting, but even though we eventually got it to the right consistency, it still tasted funny to us.  Too buttery.  While butter makes things delicious, you don't want things to actually taste like straight up whipped butter (although I have one friend/former labmate who might...).  They turned out ok overall, though not quite what I thought they should be.  I swear the frosting tasted better the first time I made them when I hadn't really figured out Swiss buttercream yet.


The cookies (from Smitten Kitchen) were delicious, though E didn't think they were nearly as margarita-y as she expected.  I wouldn't mind a stronger tequila flavor, but I thought they were tasty and pretty close.  While I really liked the bit of salt around the edges, I would totally make these again without the salt rim for a non-Cinco-de-Mayo occasion.  I think the flecks of orange and lime zest are just so pretty.


And finally, here's a shot I took of tonight's "Super Moon" after I got home from the party.


No comments:

Post a Comment