Thursday, September 1, 2011

Snickers Cupcakes

Today was my labmate's last day - she's off to a bigger, BA-er post-doc in Switzerland (Switzerland!!) where she's going to make crap tons more money than she makes as a post-doc in the U.S.  Anyways, conveniently her last day also fell on group meeting day, so I made these delicious Snickers cupcakes from Annie's Eats.



It's a chocolate cupcake (very good cake by the way), filled with caramel coated chopped Snickers, topped with caramel buttercream frosting, more caramel, and a piece of Snickers.

This was my first attempt at making caramel myself, and based mostly on the color and a little bit on the flavor I don't think I cooked it quite long enough.  The instructions said to cook the butter and sugar until the sugar bubbled...but when it bubbled it hadn't gained any color at all.  It was still the color of straight-up butter and sugar.  So I cooked it a while longer, until it had some color, but for fear of flat-out burning it I erred on the side of caution and didn't quite cook it long enough.  Oh well.  The final product was still delicious, and I'm not even a Snickers fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment