Monday, February 13, 2012

Cafe Reviews for the Dissertation Writer, Volume 8

Bar Edition!

Friday afternoon Dallas and I headed to 1702 for some dissertation writing for me and paper revisions for him.  Surely I can work just as productively with a beer in hand as a cup of tea right?  Turns out I totally can.  I got at least as much done, if not more, that afternoon than I usually do during a dissertation date.

Pros:
  • There are lots of tables, and as long as you don't arrive during a meal rush, there are plenty of tables.
  • They have totally delicious pizza and about a zillion beer options, including beers that this non-beer-fan enjoys.
  • It's within walking distance of our offices, and a somewhat long walk from home.
  • Free wifi
Cons:
  • Timing is everything.  You're going to have a hard time if you arrive during the lunch rush.  We got there shortly after 11 (kinda early for lunch), started with a beer, ordered lunch later, and worked all afternoon.
  • There aren't that many outlets, and none near the tables by the windows.
  • The place is pretty loud when it gets full.
  • When we go to a cafe I get a cup of tea or a chai latte - neither of which is particularly unhealthy.  However my waistline can't support a slice of pizza and a couple pints of beer all that often...
I enjoyed this dissertation date very much.  I'm quite sure this will be a quasi-regular thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment