Friday, October 1, 2010

Best Bridesmaid Gift Ever and Other Noteworthy Items

As part of my bridesmaid gift, my college roommate gave me an apron. Not just any old apron, an apron with unit conversions printed on it! AND printed on it upside-down, so that when you're wearing it, they're in the right direction for you to read them! It's brilliant!


I got the chance to break in my B.A. new apron Tuesday night when E and I went on another baking spree making everything pumpkin for my labmate's 2nd year seminar. We still had a ton of frozen pureed pumpkin from the pumpkins we got in our CSA share last year, and we figure it's probably only a few weeks until we start getting pumpkin again... So it was time to use it up! We made pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, pumpkin cookies with brown sugar glaze, and pumpkin cranberry bread. I was astounded that one batch of cupcakes (that supposedly makes 1 dozen normal-size cupcakes) made 100 mini cupcakes!


In other news, I'm still down all of my illness weight loss, and the blue dress fits so well that it zips up so easily I can zip it myself! Yay! 2 weeks until the wedding...

I registered for another half marathon last night. The same one I ran last March. And it looks like we've got 3 out of 4 runners needed to do the relay marathon in December... Any takers? It's only 7ish miles...

I'm pretty set on going to Amsterdam in early January now...time to buckle down and commit to a plane ticket. I emailed and heard back from my host family in Lyon, so I'll go see them too. I really miss them and think about them nearly every day, but I've been an absolutely wretched person and really haven't kept in touch at all, so I'm really quite grateful and lucky that they still seem to want to see me. Now to email my advisor to ask for an extra long Christmas break...

Yesterday it was 103 degrees in Tucson. On September 30th. Absolutely freakin ridiculous. The average high at the end of September is apparently about 90, but we broke the record high the past two days. Thank goodness I'm going to Flagstaff for the weekend with E & J - it's only going to be about 80 during the day and 40 degrees overnight! So excited! Also thank goodness it's supposed to cool off into the 80s next week!

Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty awesome...if you ever need pumpkin inspiration (or any baking inspiration for that matter), you should check out the King Arthur Flour blog. I seem to remember some delicious recipe where they suggested making it pumpkin flavored--pumpkin doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete